Friday, January 28, 2005

Our Last Name

Huh... I was just Googling myself (shut up!), and found the meaning of Bayer:

From Ancestry.com:
What does the Bayer name mean?
Last Name: Bayer

German, Scandinavian, and Jewish (Ashkenazic): regional name for someone from Bavaria (German Bayern). This region of southern Germany derives its name from that of the Celtic tribe of the Boii who once inhabited this area. They were displaced in the 6th century ad by a Germanic people, the Boioarii or Baiuarii, whose name is derived from that of their Celtic predecessors.


Cool.

--edit--
I just remembered, that's not my ancestral name at all... When my grandfather and his brothers immigrated to the United States, they changed their surname from something much more Polish-German sounding to Bayer. My mom's maiden name is a good solid German name too!






Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: