Friday, September 29, 2006

Wow!

Today was the last day of my training at the Center for Domestic Preparedness.
What an amazing place and excellent resource for first responders!

Today, I got to experience working in at a Mass Casualty Incident while wearing Level B and Level C protective clothing. My team got to decon the patients (manaquins) on scene. Then we got to survey the scene with detection equipment checking for chemical agents.
My regular job at work in Public Safety is sitting in chair for 8 or more hours a day answering the phone. This course exposed me to what the guys in the field might have to deal with when I send them out on a call.

The 2nd half of our day today was also conducted in Level C personal protection equipment. We got to into different rooms experiencing what it might be like to be exposed to nerve agents as a first responder checking out scenes-of-crime or a mass casualty incident requiring triage and decontamination.

All in all, this was an amazing week of training.
Thanks Federal Government (Department of Homeland Security) for having this available for first responders!


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

elizabeth says "whoooo hoooooo!" hi sara plz post a comment. lol no idea where that came from! "whooooo hooooo!" -eats cookie- that was an oreo it taste good. lol -eats another- not really but it sound good.right about now plz with an order of milk.

PJ said...

I've always wanted to attend this training, but we never seem to have enough people up here to make it possible. I guess from your description that it is as fascinating as I thought it would be. Glad you enjoyed it, Kev.