Saturday, March 05, 2005

Interviewed

Christopher at What In Tarnation? is doing brief interviews with several bloggers.
I'm a lucky participant!
Here's my Q&A (Questions from WIT):

1. What is the best Star Trek series. Be able to defend your answer. (Yes I need to take that quiz that you have at your blog.) ST:DS9 (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine). Best cast of characters. Not only did it remain firmly entrenched in Rodenberry's universe, it expanded it. It wasn't afraid to shake up the status quo. Characters made decisions, and had to face the repercussions of those decisions (After Worf rescued Jadzia instead of finishing his mission to get info from a spy, Sisko told Work, because of what he did he would probably never get command of his own starship). When other series running at the same time (or the movies) made changes to the Trek-verse, DS9 kept up the continuity and made changes to reflect incidents in the other Trek incarnations.

2. Name one thing that most people would think is unusual that makes you smile. One thing? Dark humor associated with my job.

3. What is your favoritest TV show ever? Stargate SG-1

4. What is one thing you would like to learn how to do by the end of the year? Program PHP

5. Who is your favorite teacher and why? Hmm... this is a hard one. A real teacher (licensed and teaching in a school)? or a mentor that has taught me things? or one of my kids teachers? I'll go with "who was my favorite teacher when I was in school"? Mr. Wooten. He toed the line on what he could get away with in class, without being rude or disrespectful, or too un-politically correct. He encouraged his students to think about common things differently. He encouraged us to be free-thinkers, he excercized our creativity. He made us laugh. Sounds like an obit. But I don't he's dead, just retired.


Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how about some of that dark humor associated with being a public saftey communications supervisor?!? Very intriguing....

Anonymous said...

Yes, I really liked DS9. The Dominion War was just good TV. I can't ever decide between DS9 and TNG.

Thanks for playing!

Michael Hickerson said...

As much as I love DS9 and think it's, by far, the best of the modern Treks, my favorite Trek series will always be the original. I grew up watching it, watched many of the episdoes with my dad. IN fact, some of my favorites to this day are the ones he and I watched togther at his recommendation.

That original series had a sense of wonder, excitement and some darn fine scripts in it. It's never been topped IMHO.

kevbayer said...

http://officer.com/article/article.jsp?id=22112&siteSection=5
That's a link to an article about dispatchers and officers that got in trouble for computer messages they sent each other. Some of the messages are the type of dark humor I speak of (the singing "burn baby burn" or "disco inferno" for example). Some of the messages are just wrong and I would never condone those (the gasoline comment, and the smell comment, for example).