Thursday, June 09, 2005

Book Review: The World of Eldaterra

I signed up awhile back on the HarperCollins First Look website. And as a result, so far they've sent me three books to review. Cool!

The first book they sent me was
Dragonsblood
Dragonsblood
, which was excellent.

The second book they sent me was
The Saint of Dragons
The Saint of Dragons which was a good book!


The third book they sent me, just last week, is called "The world of Eldaterra: The Dragon Conspiracy" by P.R. Moredun (which isn't even available to buy yet!).

Here's the review I posted on their website.

The World Of Eldaterra is an excellent read! I eagerly await the next book in the series! Set in 1910 with flashbacks to 1895, the book brings readers to the British Empire, then through illusive fortune-telling gates into the world of Eldaterra.

The story is exciting and intriguing. There's action, magic, fantasy races likes dwarves and olorcs and freaky spider-things, swords, guns, battleships, and dragons. And a fight between a battleship and a crazed female dragon that is extremely well played! My only complaint is that the dragons are one of the antagonists. I like dragons and I want good dragons! That said though, the dragons here are deliciously evil.

And you can't go wrong with a talking bear and a talking wolf-hound as companions to the hero.

Throw in the British Intelligence Service, some marauding Germans, a conclave of good wizards, a hot elf chick, an elf-spy working in the British government, a sad yet heroic death, and a hint of future conflict with Nazis - among many other things - and you've got a can't-put-it-down all-nighter. I got my copy about two o'clock in the afternoon and had it finished by nine the same evening.

Another thing I liked is how the author doesn't bash the reader over the head with evolutionary anvils; instead, mentioning Creation (yes, capitalized), and how the world was created about 15,000 years ago; all creatures were created with certain gifts, and man had dominion over them. That is very refreshing in main-stream fiction. It's nice to see this kind of book coming out of a mass-market publishing house, and not a faith-based publishing house.

Though this book is being marketed towards the teen-aged reader, any fan of fantasy, action/adventure, or science fiction should enjoy it.


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this book and I really enjoyed it too. I just looked up some reviews on Amazon and they are less favourable. It's amazing how different people interpret the same piece of work.

Anonymous said...

iv read this book countless times...
i can go all day just reading it...
and i honestly think ill never get sick of it...
and i think that some ppl that review books for a profession get so caught up in grading the book that they for get to lay back and enjoy the story and let it dance around in their minds...
i only wish Jason had made another book after Samurai(the second book in the series).

kevbayer said...

ooh! I didn't know there was another book! I'll have to go find that now!

Thanks for the info!