Sunday, July 03, 2005

Stuff and things

I added some new products to my "I Blog Too" Cafepress store. Still working on a few more.

I've read several books over the past couple of weeks.

--I read books 2 and 3 in the Worlds of Star Trek Deep Space Nine series. I can't believe how much I missed the DS9 universe. When I first heard about these books, I thought they were going to be encyclopedia-type books with "facts" about each planet.
I was wrong. Each of these books contains novels basically set on one specific world and featuring the character from the series that is from that planet, with a few of the other characters in supporting roles.
I've always enjoyed reading Trek fiction, but it's getting better, especially in the DS9 series. In the past, all Trek literature was purely stand-alone and what happened in one story would frequently be contradicted in another. Not anymore. The editors and publishers are finally taking a hint from the Star Wars Expanded Universe, and making sure all the Trek stories that take place after the end of the DS9 TV series maintain a continuity. What happens in one story, affects future stories, is referred to in other stories, and makes it much more enjoyable, because the Trek universe is continuing. (Don't get me wrong here, I like Star Wars much better than Trek, but the next Star Wars novel doesn't come out until the end of this month!)
Also, it's been ages since I've read any Trek fiction. The last Trek book I read I think came out at the beginning of 2004. Now I've a stack of Trek fiction to read!

--I finished reading the new Star Trek: Titan book today. This is the one where Riker finally gets his own command, with some familiar faces here and there. It was okay. Had a suprising ending that really freaked out one of the characters.

--A couple of days ago, I finished reading The Search for The Ark of The Covenenant. A non-fiction book about the history of the Ark, it's religious significance both to Jews and Christians, mythology/apocrypha surrounding the Ark, historical searches for the Ark, and whether or not it's been found or will ever be found. Interesting read, that. Except, the author never comes out and gives his own opinion.

Hmmm... seems like there were more... I've got a stack of books from the library on my bookshelf to last me for awhile, plus a giftcard from B&N Rubi got me for Father's Day to spend... I'm toiling over the decision on what to spend that on - too many choices!

Rubi and I and the kids made a run to Home Depot today to grab a can of paint to start working on our bedroom. While we were there, my cell rings. It's work calling. The supervisor scheduled for 2nd shift today (which is normally my shift, but that's another post), called in sick with the stomach flu, so I have to go in at 7 p.m. tonight instead of 11 p.m. That gives me three 12-hour overnight shifts back to back.
At least I don't have to double back any this time - that's where I get off work at 7 in the morning and have to be back at 3 in the afternoon, 8 hours later.

See, I like to sleep when it's dark. Which is why I don't normally work 3rd shift. But Rubi has already covered that in her cranky post.

And, yeah, we painted our bedroom Saturday afternoon. Painted it this odd almost pastel green color that Rubi really loves. I was happy with white, or eggshell, or off-white, or any other color that looks white. But my darling wife had her heart set on some shade of green.
And a cream-color on the molding that we don't have yet.

So... I put the first coat on one wall Saturday afternoon, and then decided to check the can to see how long this paint takes to dry before I can put another coat on. I had the lid back on the can, knelt down on the floor next to it and leaned it over to read the label. While I was perusing the label, pale green paint was pouring out the can from the loosely attached lid. Luckily, we are replacing the carpet in the bedroom, and where it spilled is bare sub-flooring!
But, Oops!

Then we pretty well finished up painting the rest of the bedroom before I had to go to work.
We still have to do some touch ups, but that's nothing.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Rubi said...

Eleven years. Eleven years of white, baby. It's my turn. ;-)