Sunday, September 25, 2005

Book Review: In the Beginning...There Were No Diapers

In the Beginning . . . There Were No Diapers: Laughing and Learning in the First Years of Fatherhood by Tim Bete.

This is a great book. Laugh out loud funny. Much of it reminded me of my own experiences as a new father a few years ago.

The chapters are short enough to get through if you only have a few minutes of reading time, and each ends on a postive note about God's work in our relationships with our children. Though it's billed as a humor book, it is also quite inspirational, especially the last chapter. Tim Bete makes it clear God always has a plan, whether or not we can see it or understand it - even when children are acting like children. And the author definitely shows a love for his children through his writing.

I only had two minor - very very minor - issues with the book, and I hesitate to even mention them because they are rather petty on my part. A couple of times it seemed the author kept going with the humor even after we had gotten the point. And it seems like I've always seen "badda bing badda boom" spelled that way instead of the way the author spells it ("botta bing botta boom") Again, that's just me. I did a Google search on both spellings, and it seems both are used. Those two things didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book though. I recommend any father read this book - and I'm going to try to get my wife to read it too just because it's
that good!

This is a review for Mind&Media, the author provided the book to that website for distribution for this, and other, reviews.

Free books are cool!


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Natalie Jost said...

Hi there! I've seen your blog before, but till now didn't know you're from E-ville. I live in FB, up north a bit. I also happen to be a reviewer with M&M - what a small world. My review of Tim's book wasn't as nice as yours. :)