Sunday, October 30, 2005

Books Of Late

I've read several books I picked up at my local library over the past couple of weeks.
Polar Shift by Clive Cussler and Paul Kemprecos. Good book in the usual Clive Cussler oeuvre.

The Codex by Douglas Preston. Not bad. Not as good as the Pendergast novels, much better than Ice Limit.

Ice Limit
by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Basic "techno-thriller", but not much techno, and not much thriller. I was disappointed considering how excellent are their Pendergast novels. I kept reading this book even though, throughout the book, I kept thinking to
myself "who cares? where's the good stuff?"

Riptide by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Again: not bad. Not as good as I was hoping but better than the Ice Limit.

Still Life with Crows by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Another Pendergast novel. Much better than Ice Limit, Riptide, and the Codex. I was actually expecting it to be kind of boring from the book-jacket description but I gave it a chance, and I'm glad I did. Much better than Codex/Ice Limit/Riptide. Pendergast is such a level-headed, annoying, know-it-all, mysterious
character. There's got to be more to his back story that what we know after the latest novel, Dance of Death.

I'm currently reading Thunderhead by Preston/Child.

I've also recently read the first two books in the new Star Wars paperback trilogy Dark Nest.
Star Wars: Dark Nest I: The Joiner King & Star Wars Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen. Not bad, picking up awhile after the end of the New Jedi Order series. The story isn't that hot - but the subplots and background events are still interesting - and there's a kick-butt fight scene between Leia and a Dark Jedi female Twilek towards the end of the second book.

I've got several other books on my to-be-read shelf that I've grabbed from the library lately, and two from Mind&Media that I need to Read&Review.

Gah! And I just remembered the latest Honor Harrington tome At All Costs by David Weber is finally out! I'll have to pick that one up at Barnes&Nobel!

TooManyBooksTooManyBooks!


heh... I used the word "oeuvre"!

But I don't think I used it correctly.

EDIT 10/31/05: I actually picked up the new Honorverse book from the library instead of dropping coin for it. I also picked up the newest Repairman Jack novel. And I requested 2 more books to reveiw from Mind&Media...

What am I thinking?!?


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: