Sunday, October 05, 2008

Communication

Here's a fun quote:

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

attributed to Robert McCloskey
What's fun about it, is Rubi and I recently heard a speaker use that quote to describe communications between wives and husbands (as in, the above quote is the way a woman feels about the way her husband hears her).

It's definitely true! We men often hear exactly what our wives say, but there's a difference between understanding the words, and understanding our wives. 

Rubi says: "We should clean out the van soon."
Kev hears: "We should clean out the van soon."
Rubi means: "You should go clean out the van now."
(This is a purely hypothetical situation, mind you.)

Rubi says: "The grass is getting tall."
Kev hears: "It's time to teach Elizabeth how to mow the lawn."
Rubi means: "Go mow the lawn."

Rubi says: "I'm getting hungry."
Kev hears: "Let's order pizza."
Rubi means: "Let's order pizza."

Oh...

Maybe sometimes we do understand.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: