Friday, October 31, 2008

It's The Flu!

Well, not really. Although I do have a cold or something that I think has been a long time coming. I've had a sore throat off and on for three or four weeks... one day it'll hurt, the next couple of days it won't, rinse and repeat - until this past Wednesday. I went to work at my second job, and about 3 hours in my throat started to hurt and the coughs started. By the end of the day I was pretty wiped out. Thursday, I felt okay, but still had some cold symptoms.

I thought I'd share some "well known but often neglected" tips for flu prevention, from the October 28, 2008 Emergency Management Higher Education Program Report:

Wash your hands with soap and warm water
frequently and thoroughly.


Get a flu shot.

Practice social distancing. Don't move in
toward someone who is coughing or sneezing; politely take a step back.


Practice proper sneezing and coughing
etiquette. Don't cough or sneeze into your hand and then use your hand to use a
pen at the bank or open a door or refrigerator. Sneeze and cough into your
elbow.


I'm not so sure about the Flu Shot thing, but definitely: cough and sneeze into your elbow pit. Ever since our kids were very young, whenever they'd sneeze or cough, we'd yell "elbow pit ELBOW PIT!" to remind them to direct the nasties there.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: