Saturday, November 01, 2008

Be un-geek-ily productive

A recent post at Lifehack.org listed a few ways to be productive without being an uber-geek.
 
Use a big paper calendar.  The article mentions using it to organize a house full of kids.  Hey, that's us! We tried the big family calendar. It was really nice having everything everyone was doing available at a glance.  However, actually getting up and writing in things on the calendar really just required too much effort (I'm lazy. I'll just look on my Google calendar).
 
Print drafts.  The article says it's a good way to catch typos.  Yep. I've discovered this at work.  No matter how many times I've proof-read something on the computer screen. As soon as I've decided it's perfect and print off my "final" version. Once it's off the printer, I find a mistake somewhere.  Another good tip is to have someone else read over your stuff to catch mistakes.
 
Go to a real show or concert.  Yes, this is often quite rewarding.  There's nothing like the adrenaline rush of being at a live show, the emotional charge of seeing the performer(s) really giving it their all, and maybe throwing in a new twist since it's live - something a recording can't catch.  Of course, if you go see your favorite band, and their live song starts skipping in the middle of the 1st verse... well, they can always give the awards back.
 
Step away from the computer.  I really like this one.  I've been on a big reading kick lately.  I've always loved to read, but a bunch of books have come out recently that I really want to read, and I'd much rather do that than sit in front of a computer screen. 
 
Of course, the article these came from focus on the benefits in regards to personal productivity; I focused more on just personalizing them. 
 
There were a couple of other tips mentioned in the article for ungeeking, but I just chose the few that I had experience with.
 
 


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Hunt said...

I like how this blogo comes in groups of three...Kev posts. :P

but i love you guys and i keep reading. ^_^