Friday, June 10, 2005

Tales from the mom side.

Random mommy thoughts:

And away we go. The Bayer family summer activity schedule is officially up and running as of tomorrow, which is Elizabeth's first soccer practice for her summer league. I'm hoping she'll become a bit more well rounded over the summer. In the past, she's shown a tendency to get a bit snitty when a coach suggests she play offense. "But I play defense.", she'll huff at the offender. Yeesh.

Summer activities, as chosen by the kiddos, include local stuff like putt putt, Burdette Park, the playground, a picnic, yadda yadda. We're also taking two day trips with another family, to Holiday World and Saint Louis. (Fudgery, here I come. Oh my GOSH, I miss their fudge.)

Snerk. Some guy just walked by outside pushing his Harley. Makes me think of that commercial: "Daddy just haaaad to ride his motorcycle." Love it. Good luck, dude.

This has been preying on my mind for a while, so maybe there's a blog reader that has been needing to hear it: You're a good mom. You're a great mom. Don't compare yourself to the other mommies - we're all the same, just trying to do the best we can for our kids. And our kids are all different: they don't all operate by a cookie cutter formula, so there's no gold standard. Okay? You love your kids, you want good things for them, and you try. That makes you a good mom.

Hmm. Wonder who that was for. Moving on, I just finished devouring the wonderfullest new book. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I stumbled across it in the new fiction section of the library, and it's a gem. I can already tell it'll be an old friend. Years from now, I'll be re-reading it periodically to revisit Henry, Clare, Alba, and the people in their lives. It's part 30-year love story, part tragedy, and a sprinkling of sci-fi. Go. Find it. Read it.

Downside? I've read that, and filled all up on the fluff that is Janet Evanovich and Sophie Kinsella, and am flat out of new books to read. Marion Zimmer Bradley disappointed me with Lady Of Avalon. I was expecting something as good as Mists of Avalon, and just didn't enjoy it. My taste in books rarely is the same as Kev's, so finding something among his haul from the library is a rarity. There's a Frank Peretti on the kitchen bar that looks likely, maybe I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I predict another library trip sometime tomorrow.

Because heaven forbid I get off my hiney and do the laundry.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

kevbayer said...

Doing luandry good. Procrastinating bad.