Thursday, February 01, 2007

THINKS? Are they back?

It's been awhile since I collected some of my random 'net wanderings into a THINKS post.

THINKS: Kev's term combining the words Things and Links: an assortment of images, links, games, trivia, memes, minutia, and whatnot found while browsing and mentioned collectively in a blog or message-board posts.

I just wanted to use the words minutia and whatnot. Those are fun words.

As you know - I like to read. A lot. I also occasionally post reviews of books here. I've also started cross-posting my reviews to Gather. Gather is kind of like a reincarnation of ThemeStream. But I think it's executed much better. At Gather, I created two groups: one for Christian Fiction Book reviews and discussion, and another for reviews of podcasts. I actually haven't gotten around to posting anything in the podcast reviews group - but I will soon.
Really.
There are many other book review groups on Gather. I joined one of the many: The Book Review. The creator of the group was kind enough to publish a "newsletter" listing all of the book reviews posted during January!
Handy to have them all listed in one place!

Another "web place" I found recently through a Lockergnome newsletter is Ziki . Ziki is website that wants to be the main internet presence for all of your various and widespread internet content. Join up, create your profile, add your feeds, and you've got a website that has your information and links to all of your various content: from your blogs, your Flickr accounts, etc. Anything you publish to that has a feed, you can list the feed and it will present it on your myZiki. Kind of neat. Also, if you're one of the first 10,000 people to join up - they'll give you a year free of search engine presence advertising (I think it's called). That's where if someone searches on your name (or whatever you signed up with Ziki for), they'll see a paid link at the top of that search that goes to your myZiki page.

I recently discovered a couple of interesting looking music remix websites: JamGlue and great essay that's a few years old (can't remember who's blog I found it linked from though). This essay examines Star Wars Episode 4 in a new light based on the events of the prequel trilogy. I have to say, if the Expanded Universe went this way, it would have been much more interesting (and made much more sense).

My sister-in-law sent me a funny email with a new Answering Machine message:
"GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES"
"Press "1" if you speak English."
"Press '2' to disconnect until you can.


That's just great - everyone should have that on their answering machine.

I can't guarantee I'll ever post my THINKS regularly. Usually I'm busy visiting recommendations from other websites.

To finish up this THINKS, here is a massive meme asking about my life Ten Years Ago, Five Years Ago, and Now:

Ten Years Ago:
1.) How old were you?
23 (Sheesh)


2.) Where did you go to school?
University of Southern Indiana


3.) Where did you work?
I think a better question would be where didn't I work. I had several part time jobs.
I worked at WSWI (the college radio station), I also did some odd-job work for the University like driving tour groups around in a van. I also worked at several other area radio and TV stations around that time.


4.) Where did you live?
With my darling wife, in a nice 2 bedroom duplex with a crappy landlord.


5.) Where did you hang out?
At WSWI.


6.) Did you wear glasses?
Yep.


7.) Who was your best friend?
Rubi.


8.) How many tattoos did you have?
No tats.


9.) How many piercings did you have?:
No piercings.


10.) What car did you drive?:
A Cavalier station wagon that I still miss and regret getting rid of, even though I had to replace the entire exhaust system on it every year.


11.) Had you been to a real party yet?
Yes. And I had absolutely no fun at all. I'm not a drinker, nor a smoker. So I pretty much sat on the couch and let the pretty girls fall asleep on my shoulder. Wait, it wasn't all bad.


12.) Had your heart broken?
No.


13.) Single/Taken/Married/Divorced/Bitter:
Married. Happily married. So very happily married. Had been married for almost three years.


Five Years Ago.
1.)How old were you?
28.


2.) Where did you go to school?
I had finally graduated by that point.


3.) Where did you work?
Same place I do now.


4.) Where did you live?
Same place I do now.


5.) Where did you hang out?
On my sofa napping.


6.) Did you wear glasses?
Yep.


7.) Who was your best friend?
Rubi.


8.) Who was your crush
Natalie Portman.


9.) How many tattoos did you have?
Still no tats. Won't ever have tats.


10.) How many piercings did you have?
No piercings then, none now. None in the future.


11) What car did you drive?
99 Dodge Stratus (that I still drive).


12.) Had you had your heart broken?
Nope.


13.) Single/Taken/Married/Divorced/Bitter:
Happily married.


Now (February 2007)
1.) How old are you?
33


2.) Where do you work?
Same place I did five years ago.


3.) Where do you live?
Same house I did five years ago.


4.) Do you wear glasses?
Yep.


5.) Who is/are your best friend(s)?
Rubi.


6.) Do you talk to your old friends?
Very rarely.


7.) How many piercings do you have?
Again with the piercings! I had my brain pierced - that's why I can only fill out memes now.


8.) How many tattoos?
No body art for me. Thanks.


9.) What kind of car do you have?
Just bought a 2007 Grand Caravan.


10.) Has your heart been broken?
Nope.


11.) Single/Taken/Married/Divorced/Bitter?
Happily Married!


Feel free to do that meme on your own blog!


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Rubi said...

Poor Kev is so tired. Ten years ago was clearly a weird time for us. Because I was married to him, but he was apparently still single. Says he.

kevbayer said...

oh...
Uh, oops? Clearly - I should not blog while working 3rd shift.
Error corrected.
And my love for you is still intact.
My memory may not be, but my love is!

kevbayer said...

Wow.
Going back over my answers to the Ten Years Ago questions - I really messed up on many of them. I was thinking more like 15 years ago I guess.