Monday, February 18, 2008

A Plea

Are there no Geek/Parenting/Christian blog/websites out there?
 
I haven't found any.  I found GeekParenting.com today - no indication it's Christian. I found GeekDads at blogs.wired.com - no luck there.  I found Hipster, Please (via GeekDads and thought he sounded interesting) - nope.  In fact he's quite foul-mouthed (and I just skimmed his front page).
 
I want to find a good website/blog that caters to Geeks who are parents who are Christians. I don't want Creation-bashing, I don't want cursing, I don't want links to NSFW items, ....  Something that caters to geek parents who like Science Fiction and Fantasy, books, TV, Movies, games, computers, comic books, cons, etc. 
 
I understand that some aspects of geekdom may have questionable content (see BSG, or, really any TV series) - but don't shove the questionable content at me just because it's titilating! 
 
It doesn't even have to be overtly Christian in content - as long as I know you're coming from a Christian world-view. I don't expect to read a geek blog and be preached at the same time, or have a book review that includes an altar call. 
 
Can anyone point to a website/blog like that?
 
 


Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Val said...

ummm...what sort of geekdom are we talking about, here? I have many links I could share, if I knew EXACTLY what you were looking for.
Of course, most of mine are more of the Proverbs 31 sort. You know, sewing aprons, cooking stew...
But then again, I have happened upon a few that talk about how Star Wars is biblical... what exactly are you looking for?
P.S. Don't buy a black lab puppy. What was I thinking???!!!

Val said...

P.S. How IS everybody? This is a really really really small town! Tell everyone I ever knew, that I said hello! And to write me! Having Chicago withdrawals.......

kevbayer said...

Well I'm not looking for DIY aprons, or how Star Wars is biblical...

It's tough to give specifics, because it's such a wide and varied thing to be a geek.

Also - I have no plans to buy a black lab puppy, ever.

At least you aren't near NIU anymore, right?

Anonymous said...

Hello Kev,

I suppose I'm a bit of a geek as i love making things on the pc and online so don't know if my site will be any use. I put it together and have just launched it and was really looking for link partners when i came across your site. Have a look it if you want and see what ideas are coming up and see if it is the kind of thing you were looking for. the aim is to build an online community for families. http://www.family-guide.co.uk if not no problem :-)

EJB said...

Hello Bayer Family,
I found your site by using the google webmaster tools. Google thinks our blogs are a lot alike, so you're not alone out there in the geek/parent/sci-fi arena. we're over at www.bunde.us