Saturday, July 26, 2008

Here I go again!

I went out with some girlfriends for the second weekend in a row to see Mamma Mia. (I know, I know, I'm a terrible party animal, try not to be too jealous!)

Guys, I heart this movie. The soundtrack is stuck in my head and I can't wait to get the DVD. I heard someone describe it as "cheese-tastic and disco-licious", a beautifully apt description that EW should be ashamed of themselves for not thinking of first.

It's pure cheese, but so much fun that you revel in it. The Dancing Queen musical number made me so happy.

Meryl Streep is just...just...wow. I wanna be just like her when I grow up. What a beautiful woman, and not in that airbrushed-perfection way. And whoever that was that played Sophie is possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life. I nearly died from cute when she started fluttering her eyelashes at her dads, trying to charm them into staying.

A very few downsides. While they had an admirable lack of profanity, some of the things were a little too adult for kiddos to see, which is a shame, because I think Elizabeth would love it. Some of what they showed in Tanya's number Does Your Mother Know made ME blush...yikes.

And Pierce Brosnan. Oh...oh sweetie, you're so pretty. Why did you have to sing? You were just fine until you opened your mouth and THAT came out...eek. When he started singing, my friend Jen sitting beside me burst into giggles. Afterward she asked "Was that supposed to be funny?"

Oh, and Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! stressed me out. When the bachelorette party guests got hold of two of Sophie's dads, I kept thinking "If that were reversed and it was two girls at a bachelor party, and that was happening...it would be sick and there would be outrage and and giant uproar...". I don't know - am I weird? (Don't answer that.)

That wasn't enough to keep me from salivating for the DVD release date, though. What a fabulous chick flick.


Oh! The previews! There were quite a few shoot-em-up guy movie previews, I guess to pacify the guys that got dragged there by their better halves. But there were two significant ones. One for Twilight! First big screen Twilight preview I've seen!! I've devoured all the Twilight books and am waiting anxiously for Breaking Dawn. And Kev knows that we'll be flocking to the theater at midnight with all the other Twilight fans at midnight on December 8th. Yay!

The other one made me and every other mommy of a tween girl smile, roll her eyes, shake her head, and yes, sing along a bit. HSM3. People! They're not even bothering to spell out High School Musical now. HSM3, I ask you. It looked as astoundingly overdone as the last two, and annoyingly catchy. I'll be singing along to the songs just like I did the other two, even as I'm rolling my eyes so hard they hurt when everyone busts out a coordinated dance number in the middle of The Big Game.

In fact, I'm already thinking it'd be fun to stuff a pack of Elizabeth's friends into the minivan on premiere day and take them to see it. I'll pretend to gag and think it's dumb but I'll secretly have the songs stuck in my head, I'm sure.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi mom its me alexander and yes you are wierd. LOL