Sunday, December 07, 2008

Christmas 25

Found this Christmas Meme at MCF's Nexus of Improbability .

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Both. Depends on the gift and the person.
 
2. Real tree or Artificial?
I prefer Artificial. Rubi prefers Real. We compromise and sometimes have a real one, and sometimes have a fake one.
 
3. When do you put up the tree?
As close to Christmas as possible. If it's a real tree: so it doesn't die before Christmas and also, no matter what kind of tree, because I don't like the house being out of sorts for longer than is necessary.
 
4. When do you take the tree down?
As soon after Christmas as possible.  See #3.
 
5. Do you like eggnog?
Never had it. It sounds nasty.
 
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
I can't recall.
 
7. Hardest person to buy for?
Rubi and my parents. Rubi, because whatever I get her pales in comparison to what she's worth to me.  My parents because they're elderly and don't "need" anything, and aren't really into entertainment or leisure activities, and I feel silly giving them coupons and gift cards to their favorite restaurants.
 
8. Easiest person to buy for?
My kids: they want it all, so we just pick and choose from what they want.
 
9. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yep. Had it since I was in first grade where I got several of the pieces in Sunday School as part of a memory verse competition or something.
 
10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
dislike "email" cards - they're tacky and potentially virus-laden.  I like getting Christmas cards in the mail, but I'm too lazy to send them out myself.
 
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I can't recall anything that would classify as "worst" since everything was given in the spirit.
 
12. Favorite Christmas movie?
I'm going to go with MCF on this and say Die Hard.
 
13. When do you start shopping?
Sometime late December usually.
 
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Probably. Not that I can recall off-hand though.
 
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Food.  More specifically, my mom makes these sugar cookies around Christmas that are really good, especially after they've sat for a few days.
 
16. Lights on the tree?
Definitely. We string up our tree ourselves. Sometimes all white, sometimes multi-colored.  I wouldn't mind having a pre-lit fake tree myself.
 
17. Favorite Christmas song?
At the moment, it's the Straight No Chaser version of The Twelve Days of Christmas. Look it up on youtube. It's hilarious. In general, something by Amy Grant, I'm sure - but I can't remember right now, since I'm at work.
 
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Travel to our parents' homes that live in-town.
 
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Sure. That one there with the red nose I'll name Shiny. That one over there with the attitude I'll name Crabby. Those two I'll name Stinky and Sheds-a-lot...  What?
 
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Rubi and I have been married for almost 15 years, and we have never found a tree-topper that we like enough to buy.  Currently we use a simple craft-stick star that one of the kids made in pre-school.
 
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Usually Christmas morning. Definitely the kids open-up on Christmas morning. Rubi and I sometimes do our gift-exchange Christmas Eve after the kids have gone to bed (or after I get home from work, depending on my schedule), or sometimes we do one gift each on Christmas Eve, or sometimes one of us can't wait and makes the other person open a gift (or gifts) on Christmas Eve.  Also, because of my work schedule, we usually go visit my parents sometime on Christmas Eve and Rubi's parents on Christmas Day.
 
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Leaving Christ out of Christmas, and that annoying movie with kid that gets his tongue stuck to a pole....
Oh, and that Two Front Teeth song the radio plays all the time!
 
23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
Color? I dunno.  Theme: uh... Christmas? I kinda dig the Coca-Cola Polar Bears, but I don't collect them or have any ornaments or anything.
 
24. Favorite Christmas memory?
I don't have a "favorite" memory. But I have one memory from when I was kid that stands out. It was the only year (that I can remember) that my family did not have Christmas at my parents house. Instead we went to the small apartment of my sister. It was a white Christmas, and I recall her velvet lion artwork on the wall. 
 
25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
I don't know... I hate asking for stuff. "Hey, I'm too cheap to buy myself this thing... will you buy it for me?"
 

Happy Holi... er, Merry Christmas!!
 

.


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Val said...

No. 15-they're not sugar cookies, they're german butter cookies, and the recipe has been in the family for a couple generations,
No 20- Sweet! We've always gone with a star though, because that's how the the shepherds(read, common working folk), found the baby Jesus.
And, elderly parents? I'm telling them you said that!

kevbayer said...

Butter cookies rolled in sugar and then sprinkled with more sugar. That, in my book, equals Sugar Cookies.

Go ahead and tell `em I said "elderly", Dad won't hear you and Mom will just laugh because she won't get it.

Anonymous said...

test